Monday, April 23, 2012

Helen Lavin - 100KM European Championships

A lesser known Sligo Athlete was also running Sunday in foreign lands. Helen Lavin from Castlebaldwin Co.Sligo is an ultra runner running in the US and has numerous victories in the grueling 100 milers and other ultra distances. On Sunday Helen was representing Ireland womens in the 100km (5 20km loops) in the IAU 100K World and European Championships in Milan.We will get more info on Helen soon and post on blog, but her are some comemnts Helen had on the race itself "Folks - thanks for all the support and kind words!!! It really did help me out there today when the going got tough. And it did get tough! Unlike in a hilly trail race when I could find endless reasons to just walk, I couldn't allow myself to walk during a flat road race with people expecting me at the aid stations every 5k... but man I wanted to! I probably started out too fast on the first 2 loops after falling in behind two of the German ladies... and hit the wall at around 50k. Readjusted my goal from 8:30 to sub-9, got my stomach sorted with coke (of course!) and salt crackers, and came back to life on lap 4. Picked it up the final 3k and had a blast crossing the finish line with the Irish flag. A huge thank you to my mother Eileen, sister Marie (aka Facebook updater), friend Dee and better half Chris (aka Women's Team Manager) for being there throughout the day. And to everyone who supported me from afar. Also, congrats to the Irish lads who raced hard and had some amazing finish times! And to the US men & women who kicked ass and their crew who cheered for me all day!" Well done Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice :)